Friday 28 March 2014

an old friend (while the pickings are slim)


I have been distracted in the thrifts by trying to find fabrics for my quilting project, and not got much to show this week. However, I have an old friend from London, who was found in a charity shop a few years ago. I still have him and I have been wanting to show him here for a while.

He's got a little bit of a story. When I spotted him those years ago in London, I didn't recognize him at first, all naked and scruffy with a faint smear of lipstick stain on his mutt. He's Paddington, all the way from 1969 - his original Gabrielle Designs silk tag informs on his back.

Even though I didn't know what a famous bear I met, I was very taken by his unusual body shape, which is straw filled and made in mohair. I looked into his wonky old teddy eyes - it was love at first sight, so I bought him.

At home, after giving him a gentle sponge clean (which got most of that lipstick off), I researched the info on the silk tag and found out who he was. He was Paddington alright, and that's why he's got those super long arms and stubby standing-up legs, so he can wear his rain mac and his real childs' gumboots. See him dressed here.

Ever since I got him, I wondered about whether to get him clothed or not. I wouldn't like to be the crazy lady type who puts teddies in old baby clothing, and all I had for Paddington is a vintage baby sunsuit which he tried on once... I guess I prefer him without. There's something so quirky about how he's formed and I think I'm lucky that I got a bear this old in such a great, all the fur is there condition.

A little bit of trivia for the end:  did you know that this kind of Paddington plush was first ever owned by a child Jeremy Clarkson (the sarcy tall guy on the UK Top Gear show) - it was designed and made by his mum for him and his sister as a family present.

4 comments:

  1. I didn't recognise him either, he looks so different without his clothes on and so wide!! What a great find!
    And thanks for the info at the end, I've learnt something today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great find. Yeah, he doesn't look like himself until you see the image of him with his rain gear on. Maybe you can find the outfit online, but I think he looks just fine in his birthday suit, he seems to have more of a story that way. Thank you for sharing this at my History & Home link party this week, take care - Dawn @ We Call It Junkin.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh paddington! such a cutie...and such childhoodmemories.
    love those sprouting postcards too.
    happy spring to you!
    it's been too long since i visited!

    ReplyDelete
  4. he is a verry pretty teddy :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...